1. What did you do in 2015 that you'd never done before?
Chaired a statistics conference session. Got recruited. Was the boss. Am the boss.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Not sure I made any New Years' resolutions, but I've been keeping my promises to myself.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yeah. And some people didn't, which is a new thing we get sad about.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
I went three months without leaving my county. (I will never do that again.) Countries definitely didn't happen.
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
This sounds selfish but…more single friends.
7. What date from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
A lot of good dates this year (both kinds, actually)>
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I have to pick just one?
9. What was your biggest failure?
Sometimes I was a pretty awful human being.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
The deafness carried over from 2014, which is shockingly hard to adjust to.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Life is one unending party around here.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
More than a few members of police forces (most of whom are upstanding citizens and everyday heroes. But the bad apples are such appalling poor excuses for human beings). And more than a few members of the Exec board, but hey they’re quitting.
14. Where did most of your money go?
I bought so many pieces of modern professional grown-up life!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
More or less most of my life.
16. What song will always remind you of 2015?
Kimya Dawson's "So Nice So Smart." I wasn't always either one.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier.
ii. thinner or fatter? fatter. I need more gym time, for many reasons.
iii. richer or poorer? Richer, in so many ways.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. What was the best thing you ate?
Either one of many kinds of pickles, or a certain picnic in Omaha.
21. What was the best thing you drank?
Hard to choose, but it’s probably featured on Tippling Through The Torah
22. Did you fall in love in 2015?
23. How many one-night stands?
Define “one night.”
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Downton? Though I’m still holding out hope for the new Muppets.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Mmmm, see #19
26. What was the best book you read?
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Soundcloud? Though I mostly listen to podcasts....
28. What did you want and get?.
A dining room table!
29. What did you want and not get?.
Too embarrassing to admit (but it's linked to number 23)
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I saw the new Star Wars! (That's it.) Liked it, though.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
What day is that, again?
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I’m not sure that’s possible. Oh, right, a little more #23.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
If you want me to wear a suit, I will wear the hell out of a suit.
34. What kept you sane?
Three cheers for impossible goals!
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Possibly Ta-Nehsi Coates.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Sixteen shots. Thirteen months. (With Enigma, Conundrum, JQ, and the Pride of College Green)
37. Who did you miss?
Whenever I meet up with the Ace Gang, I realize how much it sucks that we're all spread out.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Oh, probably the Yankees fan in the Cubs hat.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015:
You never know everything about who you really are.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year
"I'm just following my compass
following my compass in the dark", Kristen Hall, "Following My Compass"